Monday, November 29, 2010

Overnight Rolls

There is nothing quite like the smell of fresh bread on a cold, winter evening! I like to welcome my husband home with that aroma as often as I can, but as a busy mama with little ones often hanging onto my legs, it is can be a challenge to find the time to make from scratch dough in the middle of a hectic day. How excited I was to discover the concept of overnight rolls which, after some tweaking, turned out to be a keeper of a recipe.
So quick and easy to throw all of the ingredients into my trusty Kitchen Aid mixer (after the children have gone to bed), then pop the dough into the refrigerator. It's a great feeling to start the day with the knowledge that there is already prepared dough waiting for me whenever there is a calm moment.
I've made these several times so far and each time they were yummy. They look so pretty when brushed with melted butter right out of the oven, too. I made my rolls on the smaller side, but you could also make them larger to use for hamburger buns or other sandiwches.
Overnight Rolls:
2 Tablespoons warm water
1 packet of yeast
2 cups warm milk
2 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup butter, melted

In mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add warm milk, eggs, sugar, and salt. Mix well. Add 3 cups of the flour. Mix well. Add melted butter. When thoroughly combined, add remaining 3 cups of the flour. Place dough in a clean, well greased bowl, then turn once so top is also greased. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator and let chill overnight. The next day, punch down and knead. Divide into about 24 pieces, form each into a ball and place on greased baking sheets. Put in warm place and let rise one hour. Preheat oven to 350. Bake each batch for 15-20 minutes until barely golden brown. Brush tops of rolls with melted butter and serve. 

1 comment:

  1. We are going to try this! Recently I have been getting Rhodes frozen (thaw, rise, bake, frost and.....eat) cinnamon rolls that still reqire a couple hours to produce. This would save time, MONEY, and if I follow the direcions you give for the dough, then flatten it out and slather with butter, cinnamon, and sugar, form a log, slice, rise, bake, frost and then eat.... sounds delicious:)......... Plus yours at Thanksgiving were so good.

    ReplyDelete