Saturday, November 20, 2010

Eighteen months

October 31st, 2008 is a day forever imprinted in my memory...on that frosty Halloween morning we found out that our third child was indeed on the way. I was elated...and a tad bit nervous. How would I ever spread myself between THREE children? Especially when they would all be age four and under?


A few weeks later, it was time for the initial ultrasound. As I got that first look at the squirming teeny, tiny little life growing inside of me, it was amazing.  It was miraculous, really. My feelings of inadaquecy gradually gave way to feelings of excitement about the new adventure our family was about to embark on. No matter that this third pregnancy proved to be my most difficult, no matter how overwhelmed and exhausted I felt 24/7, it was all worth it! 


Autumn gave way to winter, and then finally it was late spring. Before I knew it, it was time to get down to business and give birth. The date with the bold red circle around it was here! We had elected not to find out the gender, so that added a huge element of suspense (though we both suspected it was a boy). We couldn't wait to discover if it was a he or a she!


 I can still vividly remember the surge of joy upon hearing that first cry, and then my husband loudly announcing, "IT'S ANOTHER  BOY!!"  and high-fiving one of the attending nurses. Ethan was laid in my arms. He stopped wailing and opened his big blue eyes.


Time seemed to stand still. He was beautiful. He was ours. It was love at first sight.


The transition from two children to three went smoother than I expected. Sure, there were stressful times, some chaos....mountains of laundry that took awhile to get to (okay, I still never feel caught up!). We ate alot of frozen pizzas and macaroni and cheese at first. My husband and I had to come together even more as a unit and work as a team. Our older children had to learn that sometimes they had to wait...and that they had to be gentle with a fragile infant. I personally had to learn that it was necessary to accept help when needed and that it was okay to prioritize and let unessential things slide for the moment.

As the days went by, one of the most special things was seeing the bond that developed between all three children. The sibling rivalry that I had feared didn't happen! Instead Ethan's older brother and sister fully welcomed him! Now that Ethan is getting older, it's sweet to see them learning to play together. I hope that they remain this close forever.

So, Ethan will be turning eighteen months old next week.  The past year and a half  has been full to the brim, never a dull moment in our house. Ethan is the true definition of an "Energizer Baby" (a phrase coined by one of my best friends). He keeps going and going and going, until he at last collapses and falls asleep briefly so he can recharge his "batteries"! He has been our earliest at reaching his milestones and I am often racing to stay one step ahead of him. I cannot believe how the time has flown by. How does a baby go that quickly from helpless newborn to a running, climbing toddler who has a knack for getting into mischief?!?



This little guy  has been such a blessing. We all just love him to pieces! A part of me wants to hold on to these days as long as I can, to make the clock go a bit slower. Every day he changes and grows and tries something new. All I can do is live in the moment and treasure each second! I am so thankful for the opportunity to be a mommy to my little ones.

 Eighteen months. Wow. Before I know it, it will be eighteen years!

No comments:

Post a Comment