Saturday, December 11, 2010

Lonely no more

One of my earliest memories when I was a young child was of wanting a sibling. A brother, in fact. I just knew that he was up there in heaven, waiting to come and live with our family. I would often ask my Mom when he would be here, and she would smile and say, "You never know!".

So I waited...and waited some more.

I personally did not like being an only child. It was very lonely not having brothers and sisters to play with, especially since every few years we uprooted our lives and moved to whatever new place the military stationed my Dad.  I wanted to have my own siblings to share the journey with, to experience simple childhood things.  I  just knew I was destined to be a big sister.

Imagine my excitement when finally, at age 7, I was told that my dream was at last going to become a reality! With great anticipation I counted down the weeks until the baby's arrival. Finally the big day came, and I was not at all surprised to find out that the baby turned out to be a boy. (I, of course, had know that was what we were having all along!)

My little brother brought such happiness to our family. I had so much fun helping my Mom to care for him, I was so excited when he started to walk, then run, and we could play together. Becoming a big sister was the most memorable thing about my childhood. And surely the best.


 So, on this very day my brother turns 21 years old! I would like to wish him a very happy
birthday and a future filled with good things.
I am so thankful that I did get the opportunity to be a sister. Where have the all the years gone? It seems like just yesterday I was coaching him to take his first step,
to say new words, to ride a bike. That time was gone in the blink of an eye. Before I knew it, he was towering above me, graduating from high school and heading off to boot camp.
 I can't imagine life without him.

(Two of my children pictured here with one of their favorite uncles!)

No comments:

Post a Comment